HELFEN - WEHREN - HEILEN
(Help, Defend, Heal - Motto of the Teutonic Knights)

GOTT MIT UNS (NOBISCUM DEUS)
(God with us - Battle Cry of the Teutonic Order and the late Roman Empire)


"The composure of true knights is no longer expressed through the sword as it once was, but rather through devotion to the Kingdom of God, protection of the defenseless, assistance of the marginalized and mistreated, and of all those in need. That is the essence of true chivalry."
+Rutherford, Imperial Patriarch of St. Stephen

The Order of the Knights of the Hospital of Saint Mary of the Teutons in Jerusalem was formally established as a knightly brotherhood of hospitallers near Acre in the Holy Land in 1190 during the time of the Third Crusade. The order served to protect Christian pilgrims in the Holy Land and to found hospitals for the sick and injured. They also fought in the Crusades and had a long and distinguished history of military service. Today the original Teutonic Order exists in two forms. The first is the religious branch of Teutonic Knights under a Catholic Bishop Grand Master, and the other is the secular branch known as the Imperial Teutonic Order. There are two Priories and one Bailiwick of the Imperial Teutonic Order within the Patrimony of the Patriarchate of St. Stephen. These are the Grand Bailiwick of Estonia, the Grand Priory of Etruria, and the Grand Priory of Canada and are collectively known as the Imperial and Patriarchal Confraternity of the Hospital of St. Mary of the Teutons in Jerusalem, or more simply as the Confraternity of St. Mary of the Teutons. In addition, the modern Walsingham Guard is the serving and ceremonial successor of the units of the Imperial Teutonic Order of the Hospital of St. Mary vested in the Patriarchate.

Membership in the Imperial and Patriarchal Confraternity of the Hospital of St. Mary of the Teutons in Jerusalem is rare. Only those persons of the following categories are considered for admission:

(1) Clerics who are canonically resident within the Patriarchate (admitted as Chaplains);
(2) Laity who are canonically resident within the Patriarchate and are linear or collateral descendants of Teutonic Knights (admitted as Serving Companions);
(3) Those who hold an Imperial Warrant as a Teutonic Knight (admitted as Knights Companion);
(3) Religious Teutonic Knights of recognised standing who seek collegial association within the Confraternity (admitted as Knights-Affiliate);
(4) Laity canonically resident with the Patriarchate who are a member of a Patriarchal Institute of Spiritual Perfection, confraternity, or order (admitted as Serving Companions or, if in vows, as Serving Brothers/Sisters).

N.b. The Confraternity does not itself confer Teutonic knighthood.

 

Patrons of the Teutonic Order


The Blessed Virgin

The Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God is the principle patroness of the historic Teutonic Order and of the Patriarchal Confraternity, due to the name of the order referencing the Hospital of Saint Mary of the Teutons in Jerusalem.

St. George

In addition to patronage of the Teutonic Order, St. George is also the patron saint of all chivalry and of horsemen. He was celebrated for his chivalrous behaviour and for the defense of those in need. His popularity grew from the time of the Crusades.

St. Elizabeth of Hungary

Noted for her devotion to the sick and poor, the patronage of St. Elizabeth of Hungary, Landgravine of Thuringia comes from the Teutonic Knight in Marburg, Thuringia (in the Duchy of Franconia, part of the historic patrimony of the Imperial Patriarchate).

HELFEN (HELP)

WEHREN (DEFEND)

HEILEN (HEAL)


HENRY III (Plantagenet) OF ENGLAND
Patron of Walsingham and the Teutonic Order

Henry III, King of England was of the Norman-Frankish House of Plantagenet, which originated in Anjou (in modern-day France) with Geoffroy V, Count of Anjou, son of Count Fulk d'Anjou, King of Jerusalem. After the Norman Conquest, the House of Plantagenet succeeded the House of Normandy in rule of England. Henry II was the first Plantagenet King of England, being the son of Holy Roman Empress Matilda (daughter of Henry I of England and Matilda of Scotland, granddaughter of William the Conqueror) and Geoffroy V, Count of Anjou. Henry II's reign came as a conclusion to a period known as "The Anarchy" in medieval England, in which the throne was disputed between the Empress Matilda (also called Maud) and King Stephen of Blois, also a grandson of William the Conqueror by a female line. Ultimately the Anarchy ended when Henry II was adopted by King Stephen as his son and heir.

Henry III ruled over the vast Plantagenet Empire, which stretched from England to the Spanish border and included most of modern-day France. He was known for his genuine piety and regularly went on pilgrimages, including to the Shrine of the Holy House in Walsingham, which resulted from a vision of the Blessed Virgin by Saxon noblewoman Richeldis de Faverches in 1061. Henry became a royal patron of Walsingham from around the time of his first visit about 1226, and his pious patronage as a royal champion contributed to the Shrine's growth as one of the most important places of pilgrimage of the medieval period.

As part of his religious devotion, Henry III supported the crusading military orders. He became a Royal Patron of the Teutonic Order in 1235. Henry's sister Isabella married Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor, of the Hohenstaufen dynasty. Isabella was also Queen Consort of Sicily during the period of Hohenstaufen rule of southern Italy that followed the Norman era. Earlier, Henry VI, Holy Roman Emperor (son of Emperor Frederick I, known as Frederick Barbarossa), married Constance, daughter of Roger II, the Norman King of Sicily of the House of Hauteville. When he succeeded to the Sicilian throne, he established the Teutonic knights in Sicily. Teutonic holdings would eventually become widespread throughout the German and Italian lands, including parts of Prussia, Poland, and the Baltic lands, which became known as the Teutonic State (or the State of the Teutonic Order).


Insignia of the Imperial & Patriarchal Confraternity of St. Mary of the Teutons

The neck cross of Serving Brothers and Serving Sisters within the Imperial and Patriarchal Confraternity of the Hospital of St. Mary of the Teutons in Jerusalem.

The neck cross of Imperial Teutonic Knights and Dames within the Imperial
and Patriarchal Confraternity of the Hospital of St. Mary of the Teutons in Jerusalem.

The breast star of Imperial Teutonic Knights Grand Cross and Dames Grand Cross, held by the High-Commander, the Grand Bailiff, and Grand Priors and otherwise is only extremely rarely conferred otherwise by Imperial Warrant.

[Household]

[Main Page]

 

 

 

 

 

Entire Contents Copyright © 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011. Anglican Rite Roman Catholic Church.
All Rights Reserved. The Anglican Rite Roman Catholic Church, Court of Saint Mary of Walsingham,
Imperial and Patriarchal Confraternity of the Hospital of St. Mary of the Teutons in Jerusalem,
and the Confraternity of St. Mary of the Teutons are trademarks of the Imperial Religious and Military
Patriarchate of St. Stephen, Anglican Rite Roman Catholic Church.