Instruction Regarding Masses in the Presence of the Most
20 October A.D. 2012
1. At a pontifical mass, vesting is done in the sacristy or some
place removed from the high altar if the bishop is celebrating at an
altar on which the Blessed Sacrament is exposed.
2. The mitre and zucchetto are not worn during a pontifical mass in
the presence of the Most Blessed Sacrament.
3. The bishop strives not to sit as much as possible during the
4. At the pontifical blessing, after "Omnipotens Deus,"
holding the crosier (unless an archbishop), he genuflects to the
Blessed Sacrament, and then continues with the blessing as usual.
5. Salutes to the bishop should be preceded by a genuflexion to the
Blessed Sacrament. Salutes to the choir are omitted.
6. All instances of the oscula are omitted except for the Sub-Deacon
after the Epistle, the Deacon at the Gospel, and of the chalice and paten.
7. A priest celebrant, at the blessing, after "Omnipotens
Deus," he genuflects to the Blessed Sacrament, and then
continues with the blessing as usual. Alternatively, the Benediction
of the Most Blessed Sacrament may be given at the end of the mass in
place of the usual benediction.
8. All should kneel through the mass except where required to stand.
9. Care should be taken never to turn the back to the Blessed Sacrament.
10. The biretta is not worn.
11. The Sacrament may be censed after the altar is censed, and
likewise again after the offerings and altar are censed.
12. Six candles should be lit, and benediction candles may also be
upon the altar.
Contents Copyright © 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011. Anglican Rite Roman
Reserved. The Anglican Rite Roman Catholic Church is a trademark.